Vocational Service is one of the basic structural elements in the Rotary organization.
The combination of vocation and the expertise that can be so developed is fundamental to the success of the many numerous programs.
Paul Harris said, “of all the hundred and one ways in which men can make themselves useful to society, undoubtedly the most available and often the most effective are within the spheres of their own occupations“.
The role of the Club’s Vocational Service Committee is to plan, organise, co-ordinate and oversee the provision of Vocational programs and activities within the Rotary Club of Lilydale.
The main Vocational Service activities within our Club include the following :-
- Organising industry visits to member’s workplace or a local business to gain an understanding of that vocation or industry.
- The purpose of this program is to promote vocational awareness among Rotarians and help them recognize the worthiness of all useful occupations.
- Inviting experts to give a presentation on the vocational needs of the community and develop a project/s in response to those needs.
- Possible projects could involve the Yarra Ranges Shire and local business/s focusing on developing the area, providing career information to youth, mentoring small businesses, or organizing workshops that provide employees with new skills.
- Trainee Award – recognition of a trainee showing outstanding dedication and service
- Lilydale Chamber of Commerce & Industry Award – Community Award to a Business within our Community exemplifying outstanding professional achievement while maintaining very high ethical standards and a community focus.
Developing joint projects with the local Chamber of Commerce to promote and award the “Best Christmas Decorations/Display” amongst the local traders in Lilydale.